Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Chupacabra Cursed My PC! FT 271 Cover Art,Out Now.



Here is my latest cover for Fortean Times issue 271, Giger's Chupacabra. Sorry for the delay in posting, but I suffered a total PC meltdown on the eve of the deadline for this piece (I spent deadline day running around town trying to get it uploaded to FT). A virus totally fried a couple of my machines and then the great Xmas delivery fubar/snowmaggedon/moronic suppliers conspired to prevent any spare parts from reaching me until this week. It is looking like it will take me another 2-3 weeks to get all my old software/plugins prefs/profiles etc reloaded and I can get back to where I was in mid December. On the plus side it gave me an excuse to tidy up the office/studio and order some new toys. A shiny new Wacom Cintiq 21UX is somewhere in Germany right now with my name on it, stay tuned....

BTW the story behind the cover image is that new research suggests the original sighting, that gave rise to the Chupacabra stories, may have been influenced by the 'witness' having seen the film Species just before. The brief was to create a Chupacabra in the style of HR Giger (who designed the original Species creature), had hardly any time to do this but learnt a lot about character rigging in the process (I only ever rig 2-3 models per year and always forget everything after each one). The original image has a separate layer of background stuff in order to fit the expanded composition of the full page, it was removed for the more restricted view on the cover.

No comments: