Sunday, 26 September 2010

15 Artists in 15 minutes

A new game via Cassia's Blog. The Rules: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen Artists who've influenced you and will ALWAYS STICK WITH YOU. List the first fifteen you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes. Tag fifteen friends, including me, because I'm interested in seeing what artists my friends choose..."

Here goes, in the order I can think of them, not necessarily the right order:

1 Joseph Beuys (I liked him so much I even bought the hat)
2 Antoni Tàpies (he taught the man who taught me everything I know about printmaking)
3 Egon Schiele (the best draughtsman ever)
4 Oskar Kokoschka (fantastically-spastically-scratchy drawing and poems about fish)
5 John Heartfield (hardcore photo-shopping before computers)
6 Joseph Cornell (because I like to put things in boxes)
7 Marshall Arisman (25 yrs on and still trying to be him)
8 Brian Bolland (I am the Law!)
9 Alexander Rodchenko (I would also go to work in overalls if I could get away with it)
10 Richard Scarry (accounts for a large proportion of my earliest memories of illustration )
11 George Grosz (mainly the lithos of sex murders – weird but true)
12 Frank Bellamy (Outstanding draughtsman and Comics artist )
13 Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (2nd greatest draughtsman ever)
14 Roy Cross (Airfix box artist)
15 Frida Kahlo (a ribbon around a bomb) I once went to a Frida Kahlo exhibition at the Serpentine Gallery and literally bumped straight into Max Von Sydow - 'Ming!' I gasped, he laughed - actually a very nice man.

No comments: