Friday, 27 March 2009

FT 248 Flying Snakes Cover Feature


Here's the cover illo for the latest issue of Fortean Times (FT248) which seems to be reaching subscribers as I type. Dead space at the top of the composition is to account for cover layout stuff, like the Logo etc. The actual print version I think is a bit less saturated and overlaid to make it look aged, as are the three illos in the feature, only seen a proof pdf so far but the whole feature layout looks good and hangs together well.

The feature is a collection of reports and eyewitness accounts of flying snakes in the US in the late 19th Century. Most of the reports are of non-winged snakes that just seem to be floating, like this one of a snake appearing out of the clouds to attack a Missouri River Steamboat. The bottom spread is a conflation of several stories of flying snake sightings over farms, I went a bit Little House on the Prairie on this one and they decided to drop the foreground snake from the final version, which is a shame as it it took hours to model and rig the character.





3 comments:

cassia said...

nice work, sir! How long does it take you to put one of these together? What an excellent brief too. Would love my next brief to be 'fanged' :0[

Alex T said...

Cheers Cass. Funnily enough they always take exactly as much time as I'm given and not a minute less :) I think the deadline for the whole thing was 3 weeks, I spent a long time getting the cover 90% sorted then worked up the others to about 80%, then started to panic as I can't multitask - as soon as I start working on one image I get worried that I haven't doen enough on the others and things soon degenerate into ever decreasing circles of panic. Then there's the inevitable alterations as the layout changes and I suddenly need to find 5 inches of extra sky and 2 inches of left side bleed. When I first read the article I thought wow, great story, but then after about a week I remembered that I never really liked steam trains or cowboys.

kellie said...

I do particularly like the farm one - if Magritte had designed horror films . . .