Saturday, 8 November 2008

Image for illustrative purposes only and may differ from the actual product.

Here's my latest cover for FT issue 243, Jeane Dixon, White House Psychic (and Mike the Magicat). I think its probably OK to show this now as subscribers seem to be receiving their copies already, although mine has yet to arrive. This is the original illo but due to the cover layout changing at the last minute the finished comp may end up looking a bit different, this is what happens when you work digitally and send artwork in layers. I think the actual cover will end up having an alternate version of JFK, I ended up doing about 3 different versions and lost track of which one they used. This is the one I prefer as it's based on a badge from the 1960 campaign and so helps with the whole 'psychic predicts JFK win and subsequent assassination' theme.

When my copy arrives I'll post a scan of the cover so you can play spot the difference at home. It was painted in Corel Painter X, although its so tight at this size it looks quite photographic (which may or may not be a good thing).

For some reason I starting thinking about Joseph Cornell and his boxes of found objects when I was working on this. Now when I look at this illo it reminds me of a cross between a Cornell box and the fortune telling machine 'Zoltar Speaks' in the film BIG, which makes me laff.

No comments: